Ingredients to make 4 x 12” pizzas
750g Tipo 00 flour (molino caputo blue or similar)
450g warm water (60% hydration)
2 tsp maldon sea salt crushed
1½ tsp dried yeast
- Combine and dissolve the yeast in the water. Crush the salt and mix with the flour.
- Pour yeasty water into a well in the flour and slowly bring it together.
- When the bowl is clean, pull the dough and flop it over itself twisting slightly as you flip it.
- Keep working the dough until it is smooth and silky, about 10 minutes and then let it rest.
- Either divide into 300g portions in a plastic proofing box or keep whole and let it rise in the bowl covered with a bag overnight in the fridge or as time allows. The flavour will be better the longer and cooler you can leave it. Some pizzaiolos leave their dough for up to 3 days!
- When you’re ready to start preparation, mix some 00 flour in a bowl with about 10% fine polenta or corn meal and use this to dust your worksurface or wooden peel
- Take your 300g portion of dough and press it into a flattened circle with your fingers. Keep pushing the dough out until its wide enough to pick up with both knuckles underneath.
- Gently stretch the dough by pulling your knuckles apart and work your way round until the dough thins. Put it back on a dusted surface and push the thick edges thinner and thinner as far as it will go, stretching all the time until you reach about 12” in diameter.
- To dress the pizza say for a Margherita, spread a ladle full of sieved tomato pulp or passata so it stops just short of the edge.
- Don’t be tempted to put too much tomato on as it will get soggy, leave areas just touched by the pulp.
Add drained and squeezed mozzerella in dots all over the surface, sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and drizzle some olive oil in a spiral over the top.
- Slide the finished pizza into the hot oven and leave on the hearth for 30 seconds before turning it with a small peel.
- Continue to turn so the edge has faced the fire all the way round. When the top is hot and bubbling and the crust just starting to burn, slide a metal peel in and remove the fragrant pizza and drop it on to a plate for serving.
- Sprinkle a bit more sea salt over, a good whack of black pepper and eat hot.