Try this French variation for Pissaladiere:
- Make the same pizza base but spread black olive paste mixed with olive oil over it instead of tomato then add slowly cooked onion so it covers the olive paste.
- Make a Pissala- a Roman paste similar to Garum or fermented fish and add this first before the onions ( see video)
- Add salted anchovies as decoration.
- Sprinkle with thyme leaves and bake as before.
- You can also vary this recipe by using the onion first spread out over the base and then adding whole olives and anchovies
See a good authentic recipe here although use your favourite dough recipe We recommend baking this either in a tin as shown in the photo or as a ‘pizza’ straight on the hot hearth of a wood-fired oven. Either way it will be delicious!
Serve sliced as a starter with aperitifs or cold Provençal rosé wine. Here is a video to make it a bit easier…..